Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Surprise... Pop-Up Daisies


It's true - the sign of Fall and cooler weather has peaked its head out in North Texas. These little magical red wonders seem to pup-up over night! For most of my life, I've been told that as soon as these red spider/surprise lilies pop-up, we will have our first freeze of the season in exactly 6 weeks. It is a wives' tale - so give or take a day is just automatically implied? Right?

Now I certainly don't know how much scientific evidence there is to this, but it seems to be right on target (give or take a day) for our area.

If my calculations are correct, we should have our first episode of brisk weather and/or freezing temps around October 20th. I am going to really pay attention to this, because it seems to me that our freezes don't usually start until after the first of November. So, I'll have to get back with you on how accurate our pop-up daisies were in predicting the freezing temps this year.

On another note...remember the Yankee Candles I ordered - ahhhhh..... they are here! I fired up my first Frosted Pumpkin of the season.... so yummmy!! I've also ordered a few tea lights and votives in various flavors ... uh... aromas.... and I can't wait to smell all of the fall goodness. Yes, you know me well enough to know that by February I'll be sick of apple spice and cedar.... but right now I'm going to enjoy the scents of the season.

I might even start pulling out my pumpkin paraphernalia, just to set the mood of Fall in our home. I'm so ready to start baking and making soups. Oh heck, I just might even drag out the crock pot and whip up a batch of something fall-ish? LOL Okay, so maybe not? :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin