Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I'm looking for some porch guidance.


I need help! I think I have a front porch that will accommodate some really cute southern decorating ideas, but I don't have any of those great ideas and am just really too overwhelmed to try to sort through tons of home improvement books!
Short of adding a table between the two rocking chairs and maybe a fern here or there, I'm stumped!
I'm open to suggestions! What would you recommend? I want to create an inviting and comfortable porch that just screams 'SOUTHERN CHARM' as guests arrive. Now once they walk in the front door, all that is screaming is 'CRAZY HOUSE', but I can dream and aspire to reflect a soft gentile image.
I have this great wooden high chair that my dad used as a child, currently its sitting in the corner by the front door holding a boring potted plant. I would still like to incorporate it into my porch scene, but I don't know what else to do with it - other than hold a boring plant. I will have to take some close up pics of my porch to submit for your review.
Okay - so basically - if you have any great web sites that you draw from for inspiration....well send them my way. Or if something is just screaming to you that I NEED to change or add - well bring it on! I know I need help!

5 comments:

AmyK said...

I wish I could help! A couple of years ago in a cultural anthropology class I took, we studied the concepts behind front porches--and how regional they are! Around here people just don't do the front porch thing. I guess it's the weather that just isn't very welcoming for front porches. Meh.
I hope you figure something out!

Heather said...

First off how deep is your porch. I think a porch swing is in order, no doubt. I would add a dwarf nandina or small flowering shrub in front of the chairs and to the righterrr left towards the end of the porch in front of the second column and a small flowerbed on the far right in the photo towards the corner of the house. Maybe even a small trelis with some jasmine (grows great here) or climbing roses. I would also totally paint your door a beautiful deep red. Such a pretty door. It needs to pop.

You have a lovely porch. I am so jealous!

Dave said...

Great porch. Since your porch is definitely a "country porch" (open and long) by design and your desire for a Southern appeal you have several options. To keep a Southern flare, I'd obtain a few wicker chairs and small table to create an intimate setting. You can find wicker in all sizes, colors, and designs. You could actually incorporate your two rockers into the setting. Like Heather suggested, I'd put a swing on the far end. I'd also opt for 2-3 planter boxes along the front and plant flowers to match the color scheme of the newly painted front door (Heathers' suggestion also). You might want to check out www.front-porch-ideas-and.more.com for more ideas!

Goosegirl said...

I love the red door idea as well. I would also go with some wicker, maybe a settee or a chaise and a rocking chair. Use the colors of your blog, red and yellow. Use some big, bright pillows, and maybe a rooster or chicken painting on the wall. Pretty and inviting!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I'd do wicker chairs, the rocker for sure, and the red door. Gotta have the red door. Our new house already has one. woohooooo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin