Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Picture it..... Spring 1985

**Pictures at the bottom**


It was the worst of times, it was the best of times..... It was the PROM - I was a sophomore, going to the Jr/Sr Prom with a SENIOR! Let's just say - I had ARRIVED! Or so I thought.

There I was in my 'borrowed' Gunny Sac white frilly dress with all sorts of lace and hoopla. Perfectly STIFF and BIG Poofy Hair and blue eyeshadow completed my ensemble. My date's name was Mark - a gangly young fellow that played the drums in our school band. He was totally cool, don't you know? After all, he was a S...E..N..I..O..R! Obviously I had accomplished what others could only dream of - being asked by a S..E..N..I..O..R!!!

The theme for the evening was You're The Inspiration, taken from the ever popular song by Chicago. The local Civic Center was decorated with all sorts of prom froo froo - the streamers were glistening with the strobe lights and the cardboard metallic stars were hanging from the ceiling. Could there ever be anything more romantic? Of course not! The night was magic - or so I thought.

I am going to search through some of my old pictures and see if I can find the couple picture that Mark and I took at THE PROM! You know... the whopping $50 portrait package that we just had to have! LOL I was skinny then... I will definitely share that picture with you!

Anyway, my reason or idea for this post was triggered by hearing this song again on the radio this morning. As it was playing I began to think back to the prom and really wonder what in the world our teachers and parent sponsors really thought of our magical prom evening? Were they all standing around in the corners thinking of just how hokey this whole thing was? Were they thinking of how stupid and naive we really were to think that our wonderful prom dates were going to inspire us to do anything of any significance?

I mean... seriously? For me, the entire evening surrounded around the DRESS, the MEAL, the RENTED LIMO, and the PICTURE PACKAGE! Now if other folks, including my date, had other ideas about after prom plans or hanky panky.... well.... he invited the WRONG GIRL! I was there for the hokey party favors and the pictures to prove to the rest of my high school girl friends that I had ARRIVED, and they hadn't! LOL

What was the theme to your prom or proms? Do you look back now and realize just how hokey it was?





** HA HA** I found this picture of my Sr. Prom - my date's name was Nick.... we had only decided to go together THREE days prior and my mom whipped out this dress. As it turned out, this was my most favorite dress of all of my prom dresses.

Oh how I wish I had those shoulder blades and skinny hips NOW!! LOL



And just for kicks... this is the famous fuzzy wrap Sr. Picture that everyone had to endure for the year book! OH, and everybit of that hair color was NATURAL!! It's crazy what I pay now - on a regular basis - in hopes of finding that 'natural' look again! UGH! It stinks getting old!


5 comments:

Memaw's memories said...

In the mid 60's, when I was in High School, we didn't have proms, those came later. We had Jr, Sr Banquets. The Jr's decorated the cafeteria. We had entertainment and a short program and a meal. We did dress pretty formally. Only thing is after doing all that work, and making a dress, I attended neither. I got mad about something and wouldn't go to the Jr banquet, and I can't remember why I didn't go to the Sr banquet.

But I made sure my kids had the opportunity to go to their proms. I was even invited to one as a special guest. I think my daughter arranged it because she wanted me to go to stop my whining about never going to one.

Laura said...

You have triggered a flashback in my thinking.

Mercy. Where did the time go?

Laura

AmyK said...

Hahah, I'm looking forward to pictures!

I actually never went to prom.
Too much bad stuff going on these days... nooo thanks. In fact, I never went to any high school dances! How weird of me, lol.
That and by the time senior prom rolled around, I was dating hubby... and he was too old to come with me! Haha! Dates had to be under 21, and I think at that time Hubby was 25. Hahah!

Ronda said...

Wow, now you have taken me back to my senior prom memories. It was 1983, me and my boyfriend (now my hubby Bob) went to both his senior prom one week then mine two weeks later. Boy did we have fun.

I oh so clearly remember the music, the dresses (with big poofy sleeves) and such, and the hair do's. Those were good times.!

Thanks for triggering my memories.

Love & Prayers,
Ronda

Goosegirl said...

OH my! Your prom dress looks so much like India's dress! I just now saw this. You are so cute! I need to dig up my old prom pics and post them. I was skinny then too......sob.....

Sivje

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin