Monday, March 2, 2015

We made it to March and Loaded Broccoli

Whew.... we made it!!  I didn't think we would, but March is here...spring flowers, green grass, warmer days, and lots of sunshine!!!  I survived another winter...no small miracle. 
While Texas hasn't had the horrid winter weather like so many of our northern neighbors, we have had our typical amount of cold and wet, but this year just seems to be more soggy than most or I just don't tolerate the cold and wet like I did when I was younger.  Come on fresh pretty new flowering baskets for my porch and the smell of fresh cut grass. :)

As typical Texans, my family needs sunshine and warm temps!  We NEED to be able to get outside and move around, however the past few days we have been stuck inside looking at each other and EATING.  It's about to get really ugly if we have to continue flipping channels to find something we can all agree on or figure out what we can all agree on to eat. Way - too - much - family - togetherness! 

This weekend, I tried a new quick-fix broccoli recipe... Loaded Broccoli... oh yes, this is a keeper! Super easy and super quick to fix.  Of course as with any recipe, I always add my own little touches and extra spices because I find that most people eat food that is just too bland for my family's salt-addicted, salsa craving, and pepper-phenom tastes. 

I've attached the recipe below just as I found it, but please experiment and add more or less of whatever floats your family's boat.  This really is a keeper of a recipe and I would venture to guess that this just might replace our typical broccoli and cheese casserole that is served at every family holiday gathering (bleck...so sick of that).   This recipe and other greats can be found on https://www.facebook.com/just1courtney.

LOADED BROCCOLI
Low carb!!!!
...
Ingredients:
4-5 small bunches of fresh broccoli cut into bite size pieces
( Approx: 4-6 cups)
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Sour Cream
6-8 Slices bacon cooked and cut into bite size pieces
1 Bag Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese (two cups) or cheese of your choice.
3-4 Tbs chopped fresh chives

Directions:
Steam or Boil Broccoli Pieces ( I boiled for 10 minutes)
Drain and Let cool
Mix together Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, 1 cup of the Shredded Cheese and half of cut up Bacon, and placed in baking dish that was lightly sprayed with non stick spray,
Top with remaining cheese and bacon pieces.
Cook in oven 400° for 10- 15 minutes until cheese is melted
Top with chopped Chives and serve! ENJOY!!

I added some chopped garlic and diced onions, along with garlic salt, course ground pepper, and even a touch of dried parsley. Also, I never boil broccoli because you lose so many nutrients when boiled, but I did steam my fresh broccoli and it was awesome.   Very yummy and went great with our grilled burgers and other fixings we had prepared for lunch.

Let me know what your plans are for freshening up your porches, decks, and entry ways for spring.  I'm ready to clean out the cobwebs and brighten up the porch with some splashes of color and life!

Oh... I almost forgot... Happy 179th Birthday to Texas! 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin