Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Laptop Suggestions

Yes, I'm plastering more pictures of my kids on my blog - I'm trying to find a bit of stress relief in scrapbooking. I'm not so sure it's working, but I do enjoy it, so I guess I'll keep it up.



I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Dell Notebook - ya' know - the small ones that are basically only good for surfing the web or email and formatting pictures. My reasoning is that I would like a place to call my own - not something I have to share with the kids - ya' know? I want a computer that I can tinker with my scrapbook stuff, keep up with my recipes, check my email, surf the web, load photos to and from - ya' know... just my stuff! I don't have any grand plans of running a business off of it and I certainly don't intend on creating some pivot table spreadsheet.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these new-age wonders? I would like to hear your horror stories, praises, or suggestions.

This is one that I've sorta been looking at....

Dell Latitude E5400 - $549 - Weight & Dimensions:
Starting weight: 5.58 lbs/2.54 kg9
Width: 13.31"/338mm
Depth: 9.61"/244mm
Height: 1.46"/37mm

5 comments:

AmyK said...

I actually just purchased a new laptop; I blogged about it yesterday. It's a Toshiba 'cause we've never had any luck with Dell. Are you looking more for a Notebook or a Netbook? A netbook is basically just for online stuff, like cloud computing (where you use online programs instead of installing stuff on your actual computer). They're a lot cheaper; somewhere in the $350 range. I considered one 'cause they're small and very portable, but I ended up ordering a Toshiba Satellite Notebook for $500 instead. I'd heard good things about that Toshiba model, and for $500? Awesome.

Good luck in your search!

Memaw's memories said...

I don't have any suggestions on the laptop, but your kids will be grown and gone before you know it, and that pc of yours can sit on it's desk and you won't have them to worry about.

The house will be quite too empty.

Laurie and Bill said...

Dell is good, Amy, but have you looked at HP? The only reason that I say that is because we found a Dell for DS for college and we were steered toward an HP, because their customer service is much better than Dell.

HP has around a 2-day turn around if you have problems and have to send them in for repairs, whereas, I've heard people say it's more like 2 weeks with Dell.

Just thought I'd put that out there for you to consider. Although at the school I work at all the laptops are Dell's. In fact the one you listed is a popular ones for admin. They seem to do fine!

Vintage Chicken said...

Great suggestions to look into... thanks for the information - my search will continue before I actually buy anything!

Lisa @ The Hem Line said...

I LOVE my Dell laptop. I use it mostly when I travel or when Grey's Anatomy is on and I have work to do. I have had mine for 4+ years with no problems at all. It was a reconditioned one and I would highly recommend checking those out on the Dell site. They are coming down in price. I think I paid about $375 with free shipping and 1 year warranty.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin