Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My recent adventure ....

In Canning BEANS!!!

Can you believe I actually did it? I can't!

I still look at the finished product and can't believe that I did it... all by myself... well sorta? I did have to make a couple of frantic phone calls to my grandmother in the rehab center to make sure that I was on track and sure enough - it all worked out!


My biggest fear was that the pressure canner/cooker was going to blow up; I've always been scared to death of those things! Even as a small child, I would watch my mother use her pressure cooker to cook chicken or pinto beans and then when it was time to release the pressure or remove the lid - I was in another room!


I convinced Briley that snapping beans was fun and she decided to show a little pity on me and snap a few. Yes, that's my husband's leg in the back ground with his beer sitting on the ground - I took advantage of him too..... while we all sat on the front porch and snapped beans we enjoyed a little summer afternoon rain shower! A very quaint afternoon.

Next up was the boiling of jars and lids - good thing I swiped this big roasting pan from my Mom's house a few years ago - shhh... don't tell her! She still thinks she lost it in her last move! (Wink....Wink....)






In just under 4 hours I had finished canning green pinto beans and had a whopping 18 pint jars to proudly show off...and that I did! I promptly sent my mom a text message with a picture of all of the jars of beans so she could show my grandmother at the rehab center.


I feel like the torch has been passed to me - well the pressure cooker/canner torch, that is! My grandmother also gave me her instruction/recipe booklet with her many many years of handwritten notes in the margins! I will cherish those hand written notes for many many years to come!

I'm no longer scared of the pressure cooker/canner - so watch out! You just never know what my next canning adventure is going to be? I think I hear Salsa calling my name!

4 comments:

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Amy, Whew...you must be tired after all that canning. There is nothing better then home canned veggies! So glad you have learned to do it!

Thank you so much for popping by to see me the other day! I really appreciate your visit and comment!

Hope you are having a wonderful week! Nancy

AmyK said...

Wow! Go you! I'm scared of pressure cookers too! They seem like they have minds of their own!

Heather said...

How exciting. My mom is a canner but never has done the pressure cooker things. She does jams and pickles and such. I sure would love to do it. How neat! I bet they taste great!

Goosegirl said...

Amy, the beans look great! My mom and grandma used to can and I loved helping. However I have never done it myself. Something I must try....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin