Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Organizing your Road Trip

As so many of you may have picked up on by now... we are going on Vacation in 9 days and we will be spending approximately 13 hours in the car (one way) - DRIVING!! Now before you contact CPS about cruel and unusual punishment to my kiddos, we will be stopping about half way in Mississippi to spend the night and finish the last 6 hours of the trip the next day. If we tried to drive it all in one day - I'm pretty sure someone would get there in a body bag! It's bad enough that we are all crammed in a car together for any length of time, but to drive that distance - together - well...let's just say it's not going to be pretty!


As a general rule, I am THE QUEEN of the Ziploc Bag! I stash and sort tons of junk/stuff/food/games/bug spray/wet wipes...etc... in individual baggies to prevent mass clutter, but what else do you consider a staple for your family vacations and road trips?


Each of the girls have their own portable DVD players and headphones, along with their own IPODS and Nintendo DS games, but even with the assortment of technology in the back seat, I'm sure we will be serenaded with "I'm bored" or the ever popular "How much longer?"


Anyway, here's my idea - I'm actually pretty handy at organizing our vehicle and taking along the little extras that make the trip bearable, but I want to hear your ideas. Do you have any fun travel idea or take-along items that you just can't leave home without?

8 comments:

Heather said...

Wet washrags in Ziplocs. LOVE that


Toilet paper because you never know


Here is a hint for the beach. Take some baby powder. After you dry off rub it on your feet and legs to get rid of leftover sand. It keeps it from getting all in the car.



Have an amazing time!!!!

Vintage Chicken said...

Great idea about the Baby Powder! I didn't know that one!

Thanks!

AmyK said...

Haha, "Are we there yet?!"
Give 'em a map and tell 'em to note on the map every time you pass a roadmarker, haha.
Maybe that's not helpful, haha.

Either way, good luck!! Long trips in the car aren't the best thing in the world, that's for sure!

Aunt B said...

Take extra Ziplocs for the beach to store cell phones, keys, cameras etc.

Buy a special cd or toy to break out for good behavior on the road trip .

Get bug spray sometimes the sand gnats can be horrific.

Plan for rainy days play dough, puzzles, make cookies. Heads up it has been flooding cats and dogs here in FL. I guess that’s why they call it dog days.

Vintage Chicken said...

Aunt B - thanks for the suggestions! Each year we always dodge the rain - it seems like a hurricane either comes through the week before or the week after we go? Maybe we'll luck out again this year?

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I'm laughing as I'm reading. I remember our family taking road trips every dang summer. My mom and dad would cram four of us girls in the backseat of a station wagon. WE had nothing to entertain ourself except for the person sitting practically in our lap next to us. So......we scratched, pulled hair, fought and on and on. I wanna be a kid now. I'd be so entertained. lolol And my dad wouldnt have to say.......Dont make me pull this car over. lololol
Have fun you Ziploc queen you.
Oh I agree with the toilet paper and maybe some wet wipes. Ok alot of wet wipes.

Kristen said...

WOW AMY!!! You would HATE to travel with us! 13 hours in a car is just about 1 hour under my maximum limit! Also, you pee when I get gas, cause I don't do these "play breaks" (unless there is something REALLY intersting along our path)! And imagine, all that without any electronics :-)Mind you, I don't have to manage any altercations except between the boy and the dog...

A little something to note in case you haven't discovered yet on your own, never use bug spray with sunblock - something about the ingredients in the bug stuff reducing/eliminating the effectiveness of sunblock...we just forego the bug stuff as you know I am crunchy enough to have those worries anyhow...

Personally, I don't micro plan on the same level you do! I am equipped with food and drink, wet wash cloths...look out the window and enjoy, play a game, tell jokes or read a book!

I know, I am not helpful am I?!?!

Ronda said...

Oh My Stars.....we just missed each other.... :(

You are going on vacation RIGHT NEXT DOOR to where we were last weekend when we went to Pensacola Florida (the weekend of the 4th)to see our son Bobby.

My parents always took us to Panama City Beach for summer vacations when we were kids. LUV'D IT!!!!

I do so hope and pray you and your family will have a fabulous time.

I pray God sends out His Angels to prepare a safe, and fun filled travel for you all, and for the Lord to watch over all of you while you are away from, and to bring all of you home again safely.

Love & Prayers,
Ronda

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin