Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Coffee Cake

Do you remember many years ago when folks would spend their Sunday afternoon visiting with their family or neighbors for the few hours between the Sunday morning and Sunday evening church service? Well I do... now how old does that make me feel?

My grandmother and her sisters would always have some sort of dessert ready to serve. It was a part of their weekly routine to have something yummy prepared for whomever might drop by for the obligatory afternoon coffee break.

One of the recipes I remember enjoying was a coffee cake. It wasn't until I was about 12 yrs old that I finally got up the nerve to try a serving. I was convinced that it was made using coffee, which is something that even to this day I have not acquired the taste for. Just for future reference, coffee cake really doesn't go well with coke or sweet tea, but milk is a great combination and of course the ever popular coffee!

The past few weeks I've had a hankering for coffee cake so I enlisted the help of my mother to find my Maw-Maw's coffee cake recipe. This is what she was able to come up with:
1 pkg active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups packaged biscuit mix
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbl spoon cinnamon
Any type of fruit you like ie...blueberries, sliced apples, peaches, pears

*Soften 1 pkg active dry yeast in 3/4 cup warm water
*Stir in 2 1/2 cups of packaged biscuit mix (Bisquick), beat vigorously 2 or 3 mins
*Turn out on surface well dusted with biscuit mix. Knead until smooth, about 25 strokes.
*Butter sides and bottom of cake pan and sprinkle with sugar.
*Place dough in an, pressing out until it touches the sides.
*Let rise in warm place until double (about 1 hr)
*With thumb, punch deep holes/indention in dough every 2 inches, leaving 1 3/4 margin around edge of pan.
*Pour 1/2 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream over dough.
*Fill the thumb 'wells' with the fruit of your choice.
*Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top.
*Bake in hot oven - 400*- 15-20 mins or until done.

You'll notice I used fresh blueberries because I happened to have a fresh package that I needed to do something with, before they ruined. I remember my grandmother using pears and figs, probably because those are what she had on hand, at the time. I think the next time I make it, I will use some peaches -but really now.... how can you go wrong with any sort of fruit, mixed with heavy whipping cream, sugar, and cinnamon?

My food photography isn't great, but you get the idea! Next time I'll have to make a larger coffee cake - there's not any left!

I know... I know... one day I post about weight loss products and the next day I post about cake...go figure? It's no wonder I'm not doing so well with losing weight? LOL


1 comment:

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Amy -- it's nice to meet you! thanks for stopping by That Old House. And thanks for the nice comments! She's a grand old house, a bit cracked and crazed around the edges, but hey -- she's 177 years old, she can't expect to look perfect!

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of living in an old house that had two staircases, one up from the front hall, and one that went to the kitchen from the upstairs hallway. When I saw this house online and for sale in 2007, I fell in love. Luckily, we were able to buy it in March 2008 -- and it's a love affair. It took me 30 years of marriage, but I got my dream house!

Thanks for following! I signed on to follow you,too -- want to see what you are up to with your sewing. I don't do much sewing now except draperies for the house!

Love your blog, and your girls are darling -- so pretty!
I have two daughters -- one is 23 and is in California, the other is 22 and will be leaving this weekend for grad school, but not far away.
Whew... I have written enough!
Best wishes... Cass

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin